- Chandigarh Airport was initially connected with only Delhi in 1970s.
- In the early 1990s it was directly connected with Jammu but this flight was later discontinued.
- In the next few years a direct flight to Leh was started by Air India but this scheduled service was also suspended after a while. Meanwhile, Delhi continued to be the only destination directly connected with Chandigarh.
- The next big development came with the introduction of a direct flight service to the financial capital of India i.e. Mumbai. For the next few years Mumbai and Delhi remained as the only direct flight options for the tricity residents.
- 2011 - A new terminal was inaugurated and with this Chandigarh Airport was declared a Customs Airport.
- 2014 - Airasia India and Indigo announced direct flights to Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- 2014 - Srinagar became the fourth destination to be directly connected with Chandigarh
- 2015 - Chandigarh International Airport terminal building was inaugurated by Honourable Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi.
- 2016 - In September Sharjah (U.A.E.) became the first city outside India to be directly connected to Chandigarh.
- 2016 - Soon Chandigarh also got a direct flight to Dubai (U.A.E.)
- 2016 - On 31st December, Air India decided to resume direct flights between Chandigarh and Leh after more than a decade.
- 2017 - In the first week of January, Pune became the sixth domestic destination to get a direct flight from Chandigarh
- 2017 - Hyderabad was connected by a direct flight to Chandigarh on 20th February.
- 2017 - The eighth domestic destination to be connected with Chandigarh will be Jaipur. Jet Airways plans to operate a direct flight on this route.
- 2017 - Air India plans to start a direct international flight from Chandigarh to Bangkok, Thailand in May. The schedule for the same is yet to be finalised.
Total Destinations - 10
International Routes with frequency
- Chandigarh - Sharjah (thrice weekly)
- Chandigarh - Dubai (daily)
Domestic Routes with frequency
- Chandigarh - New Delhi (15 flights daily)
- Chandigarh - Mumbai (7 flights daily)
- Chandigarh - Bengaluru (3 flights daily)
- Chandigarh - Srinagar (2 flights daily)
- Chandigarh - Leh (thrice weekly)
- Chandigarh - Pune (5 flights in a week)
- Chandigarh - Hyderabad (daily)
- Chandigarh - Jaipur (daily)